Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Church discipline

So I'm a big believer in church discipline. Jesus tells us this in Matthew 18:15-20:
If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.
Sometimes it takes this latter extreme, bringing to the church, to bring a person to repentance. In such situations the whole body of believers is involved, and boy can it be difficult.

My pastor said in the sermon last week while talking about this that John MacArthur makes it a policy to sometimes read off the list of names of people who are in the situation where they are completely unrepentant, and unable to come to communion because they have been barred. I just think this is wrong.  Sure, this person needs to know that they may not approach the Table of the Lord (for their own safety if nothing else), and others need to know this too so that there can be accountability. But repeatedly driving this point again and again in this way can lead to all kinds of sin. Doing this could cause others in the church to feel negatively towards the fallen brother or sister, thinking "Ha! I'm glad I'm not that guy" or " Boy, she is such a horrible sinner." It breeds arrogance in the body.

I've always kind of thought that MacArthur was nuts anyway, but I was still surprised by this. Fundamentalism breeds pride and arrogance. True evangelicalism upholds the truth of Scripture, and the necessity of church discipline, but does so with humility and grace as well as firmness.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Any takers?

No comments: